Rossendale Borough Council approached Growth Lancashire in the face of losing two important staff members; their Townscape Heritage Initiative (THI) Officer and Conservation Officer. This came at an important stage of the THI process. The Bacup scheme had been identified as a key regeneration project by the Local Authority, and as the scheme was transitioning from Phase 1 to Phase 2, the Council were keen to ensure that momentum was not lost on the project and that credibility and confidence was maintained with the Funder.
Although they had interviewed for a replacement THI Manager, the new incumbent had no heritage or conservation experience, and no experience of working on Heritage Lottery Funded projects. Equally, there was also a considerable lag before the new Conservation Officer was due to start.
Rossendale Borough Council approached the company to provide an interim service supporting the THI Manager with the effective delivery of the scheme. A Service Level Agreement was created for Growth Lancashire to provide additional capacity to:
- Oversee the Phase 2 Tender Process to include Preferred Contractor Selection
- Agree a funding extension with HLF
- Agree and oversee staffing work-plans, and provide staff development
- Create and maintain a Bacup THI financial reporting system
- Liaise and meet with a range of internal and external stakeholders, including shop owners, architects and Funders
- Facilitate Stakeholder and Consultation events
- Issue Grant Offer Letters
- Commence delivery of the Phase 2 refurbishment programme
- Progress public realm improvements
- Oversee the HLF’s claims process and provide quarterly reports